Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hello, I'm David and these are my Dinosaur Valentines

Hey there! I've just been added to the AE roster, and I'm pleased to be here. My name is David Orr, and write the daily dinosaur blog Love in the Time of Chasmosaurs. By trade I am a graphic designer, currently designing book covers for a publishing company. I've also been playing around with my illustration skills, especially in Adobe Illustrator. My first submission to ART Evolved was my Pink Maiasaura back in October, and I hope to have a Terror Bird to submit next month. I'm not a fine artist or fully-trained illustrator, so much of my work is based on my love of the simple aesthetics of nature, the interaction of shape, color, and texture that delights the eye. I think some of this is on display in my WIP set of vector-illustrated birds. As is a stylistic debt to Charley Harper, which I gladly admit.

My wife, Jennie, was struck with an idea recently: that I should do some dinosaur valentines, giving me an opportunity to stretch out a bit and merge some of my design and illustration side with LITC. It was a good idea, and I'm pleased with the results. I think you'll get an idea of my influences and methods. I think they make for a good introduction as I join the AE family. Here's one of the designs, featuring a Carnotaurus and a Triceratops.

Dinosaur Valentines

Head over to LITC to read more about my dinosaur valentines and find links to the printable PDFs (in both all-ages and "naughty" forms). I'm excited to join in here and expect it to spur me to keep working on paleo illustrations.